One of our enterprise customers approached us for embedding their Power BI reports, dashboards and Q&A in their application. They had purchased Power BI Premium SKU and want to use Power BI embedded capabilities. In this blog post, we will explain how we helped our customer setup workspace with premium capacity and use it for embedding reports.
A quick recap of embedding your reports in Power BI:
- A master account (a user basically) with Power BI pro license in Azure AD tenant
- An application in Azure AD and with permissions setup (more on this in next blog)
- A workspace (or groups) to publish reports to be used in embedding
- User created in #1 to be admin of this newly created workspace
How do we assign premium capacity to this newly created workspace?
1. Go to “Settings icon” in PowerBI.com, and select “Admin portal”
2. Inside of the Admin portal, select premium settings
3. On premium settings screen, select the capacity that you want to use
4. Click on “Assign Workspaces” in the capacity you have selected
5. You will be presented with a screen, add the user that you created initially (a master user, remember?)
6. After this, go to this new workspace, edit it, and ensure in advanced settings “Premium” is ON. You need to have workspace assignment permissions in order to enable it.
7. When selecting “ON”, select the appropriate Premium capacity that you want to assign to this new workspace
Hit Save, you are done!
Now this workspace has Premium capacity turned ON. How do you verify it?
Go to this capacity in premium settings and check if this workspace is assigned.
Do you have questions? Let us know.
Contact us if you want to embed Power BI Reports, Dashboards or Q&A. We have helped enterprises, medium to small sized businesses develop and embed Power BI reports using varied sources of data with data sourcing, modeling, and compelling visualizations and analytics.
Or, head to our premium showcase section to see some of our work live in action.